$100 Supercomputer – so close I can taste it!

Mikorist

Preporučeni Komentari

$100 Supercomputer – so close I can taste it!

Clive Maxfield

10/26/2012 10:49 AM EDT

Wow – things are really racing along with regard to the Parallella Supercomputer project on Kickstarter.

When I posted my first blog on this topic on Tuesday of this week, the project had raised only $439,565 of their $750,000 goal.

I just visited the project on Kickstarter – now they are up to $611,504, which means that $171,939 has been pledged in just three days!!!

But we still need to raise $138,496 for this Kickstarter project to go forward.

The deadline is Saturday, Oct. 27, at 6:00 p.m. EDT, so there are only about 30 hours to go at the time of this writing.

Why do I care? Well, several reasons, actually, not the least that I've made the $99 pledge myself, for which amount I shall receive my very own Parallella Supercomputer … but ONLY if the Kickstarter project reaches its goal.

But the main reason is that I really like Andreas and the folks at Adapteva – I remember a couple of years ago when Andreas left his job, disappeared down into his basement, and – fed (occasionally) on sandwiches prepared by his long-suffering wife -- single-handedly invented a new computer architecture, designed his own System-on-Chip (SoC) from the ground up – including learning how to use all of the EDA tools – then took the device all the way to working silicon and a packaged prototype (click here to see that epic tale).

The $100 Parallella Supercomputer is the next chapter in the story – the combination of Adapteva's Epiphany multicore processor chip and Xilinx's Zynq All Programmable SoC with its dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor and traditional FPGA programmable fabric.

Postavljena slika

Block diagram of the Zynq-based Parallella personal supercomputer.

Oooooh, the things I will be able to do with this little beauty … BUT ONLY IF THE KICKSTARTER PROJECT REACHES ITS GOAL!!! (Sorry … I didn’t mean to shout).

So please help me spread the word – start pinging everyone you know on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and so forth. This is a chance to make a difference – let's not blow this opportunity for the sake of only $138,496.

Postavljena slika

A Zynq development board with an Epiphany daughter card

If you found this article to be of interest, visit Programmable Logic Designline where – in addition to my Max's Cool Beans blogs – you will find the latest and greatest design, technology, product, and news articles with regard to programmable logic devices of every flavor and size (FPGAs, CPLDs, CSSPs, PSoCs...).

Also, you can obtain a highlights update delivered directly to your inbox by signing up for my weekly newsletter – just Click Here to request this newsletter using the Manage Newsletters tab (if you aren't already a member you'll be asked to register, but it's free and painless so don't let that stop you [grin]).

Izvor: http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-blogs/other/4399468/-100-Supercomputer---so-close-I-can-taste-it

http://youtu.be/CYhaL8hY-0Y

videti

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/parallella-the-99-ubuntu-supercomputer-for-everyone

:crazyrocker:

Podeli na ovim sajtovima

• Odgovora 14
  • Kreirano pre
  • Zadnji odgovor pre

Aktivni članovi u ovoj temi

Popularni dani

Aktivni članovi u ovoj temi

Postovane slike

Once completed, the 64-core version of the Parallella computer would deliver over 90 GFLOPS of performance and would have the the horse power comparable to a theoretical 45 GHz CPU :connie_nutzo: :buehehe: [64 CPU cores * 700MHz] on a board the size of a credit card while consuming only 5 Watts under typical work loads.

http://www.kickstart...er-for-everyone

$670,205

pledged of $750,000 goal

hours to go

Back This Project $1 minimum pledge

This project will only be funded if at least $750,000 is pledged by Saturday Oct 27, 6:00pm EDT.

...valjada ce da skupe pare za masovnu proizvodnju...ako uspeju odosmo sa PC svi na PSC za koju godinu.

EDIT

Stigose i na Forbes : http://www.forbes.co...s-your-backing/

Parallella FAQ

"Once we have a strong community in place, work will being on PCIe boards containing multiple 1024-core chips with 2048 GFLOPS of double precision performance per chip. At that point, there should be no question that the Parallella would qualify as a true supercomputing platform."

Podeli na ovim sajtovima

Ovo je odlična stvar ali postoji uvek ovo ali. Da pojasnim --- Multitasking OS dodeli procesu (programu) npr 2,4,6... jezgra, ako program nije pisan da može da iskoristi 2,3,4... jezgra (multitrejd) onda samo 1 jezgro radi i od njegove snage zavisi koliko je običan korinik zadovoljan. S druge strane za baze podataka, veb servere, file servere, terminal servere, proračuni... enterprise potrebe ovo je super plus potrošnja struje je mala, prostor koji zauzimaju je mali... Tako da za obične korisnike je veoma bitno koliko 1 procesor ima snage a dodavanje novog prosecora ne znači dupliranje snage.

Podeli na ovim sajtovima

jeste zato sam i dao 15$ - imam neki osecaj (sesto culo) da je ovo dobitna kombinacija za buducnost. i ovi likovi koji su donirali takodje...krenuli su sa malim probnim plocama i snagama jer nemaju pare.sad ce da zarade prvi milon. sto rece jedan lik na netu neka kosta neki njihov buduci komp i 500$ ali da ima 4Ghz sa 64 cores + PCIe i da se ne greje kao toster.... :preved:koliko sam primetio ovo njihovo cudo nema kuler ni hladnjak :assshake:

Podeli na ovim sajtovima

Kreiraj nalog ili se prijavi da daš komentar

Potrebno je da budeš član DiyAudio.rs-a da bi ostavio komentar

Kreiraj nalog

Prijavite se za novi nalog na DiyAudio.rs zajednici. Jednostavno je!

Registruj novi nalog

Prijavi se

Već imaš nalog? Prijavi se ovde

Prijavi se odmah
  • Članovi koji sada čitaju   0 članova

• Nema registrovanih članova koji gledaju ovu stranicu
  • Kreiraj novo...